Recently, Au Pairs from our Go Au Pair Philadelphia, Bucks County and NJ cluster fundraised for Autism Speaks. There were a few teams, the Au Pair from Mexico Brenda worked hard on face painting and raising donations from thankful parents.
Some Au Pairs asked why they should volunteer when there are so many things Au Pairs can do for fun in their free time. I asked Brenda, who volunteered in the USA for her first time, to answer the questions.
1. Tell me a little bit about yourself and some of your interests and hobbies? I’m Brenda Gonzalez and I am Au Pair from Mexico, I consider myself a fighter because I don’t like just leave the things without try to do it first, or just quit.
I always try to do my best, I love to help people whenever it will be possible for me, I always try to see the positive side to the situations. I love to practice swimming, paint, and spend time with my family and friends. When I was in Mexico I was studying international trade but I interrupted to come here as an Au Pair.
2. Why did you join Go Au Pair team and volunteer at Rice’s market on 09.20.2014 ? – I joined in the team because it was for help and support the children with Autism, so it was good enough reason for me.
3. What did you like about the event. – I liked all the people who were interested in can help us with this sweet cause, I also liked all the new friends that I met there, I think we made an excellent teamwork.
4. Have you volunteered before? Where? How long? What did you do? – No, I never had been a volunteer before.
5. What attracts you to working for Autism Speaks? My Local Area Representative told us about the event and I decided to participate in it and make happy some people.
6. What are a few of your special skills that make you a good volunteer?- I had never done it before, so I just gave my best in the chore that I was in charge and always give people a big smile.