Bonding with the children.
Hello everyone, it took a lot of thinking about what I should write about next but then the light bulb came straight to me… Bonding with your host family children was the answer that I got.
As an Au Pair it is one of the most important things to do, because if you do not bond with your children you will most probably not have a good year. Once you and your children have bonded, everything seems to be a bit easier than it was before, believe me.
I have a few tips to share with you on how to bond with the kids. This is what I did and continue practice every day, and it has been working really good for me:
- Setting time aside for the children: with this I mean that you should make time for you and the children alone without the parents because this helps you and the children to get to know each other on a more personal level.
- Making fun and simple crafts together: Let the children tell you what they feel like doing and do it with them. This could be anything from painting to baking to drawing, etc. This is a lot of fun not only for the children but also for you and it shows the children that you do want to be involved with what they want to do and that you do not mind taking the time to do it with them.
- Trust: The children do have to know that they can trust you at all times because if you do not have trust you do not have anything. I would say that this is one of the most important components when it comes to bonding with someone. Once the children know that they can trust you they will be a lot more open towards you and if something happened they will not be afraid to tell you about it.
- One-on-one time: It is very important to make every child feel like you are interested in them and what they do.Spend some time with a child even if it is just 10 minutes because by doing that they know that you care about them,what they like and who they are. You have to make one-on-one time with every child; otherwise they may feel neglected if you spend time with some of the children and not with them.
- Security: If the children feel safe with you as an Au Pair they will be a lot more at ease as when they do not feel safe with you. This will help when you have to stay at home alone with them.
- Be involved: If the children have activities that they really enjoy try to be a part of it. For example go watch a soccer game when they play or go with them to practice, ask them about their day and what was the best and worst part, celebrate with them if they are happy, be sad with them if they are sad. And the best thing that I can possibly think of that I do is just to be there for them, but they have to know that before it works.
I watched one of the Spider-man movies with the children the other day and in the movie there is a quote that says: WITH GREAT POWER, COMES GREAT RESPONSIBILITY. I think that this is one of the best quotes ever for us as Au Pairs. We have great power when it comes to doing what we do, but with this power we also have a huge responsibility for the children and ourselves.
Hope you all have a great day and you will be hearing from me soon about my fun with friends