Au Pairs obtaining a Pennsylvania Driver’s Licence

Au pairs are permitted to drive in Pennsylvania for up to 1 year with the following 4 documents: an international driver’s license, a home country license, a J1 visa and a DS 2019 form. However, obtaining a Pennsylvania Driver’s Licence is very important. Here is 8 reasons why an Au Pair should get a PA Driver’s License.Au Pairs driving

In order to get a driver’s license Au Pairs must have a Social Security number.

The Au Pairs should begin studying for the learner’s permit test, which is a written test that  can be taking on the computer at a Driver’s License Center.  Please click on this link to practice for the test. If an Au Pair speaks Spanish, she/he you can choose to study for the Learner’s permit and take the test in Spanish.

Then,  Au Pair need to complete DL -180 form and visit a doctor to get a medical physical form done. After that, she/he should visit PennDOT Driver License Center with a completed DL -180 form,  their visa, passport,  1-94 form,  DS 2019, Social Security card, a check or money order payable to PennDOT, and two acceptable proofs of residency- please contact a Driver License Center for more info.

Au pairs should take the eye screening and Knowledge Test at a PennDOT Driver License Center. Once passed, Au Pairs will be issued the Initial Learner’s Permit.

After Au Pairs get a permit, they can schedule a driver’s license exam. This test will be in an actual driving test in a car. When visiting a Driver License Center to take a road test, they have to bring valid learner’s permit, proof of vehicle insurance, proof of vehicle registration, accompanying driver’s valid driver’s license.

Good Luck with obtaining a Pennsylvania Driver License!

Remember,  never drive and talk/text on the cell phone at the same time, make sure the children are correctly in their car seats and everyone wears seat bells at all times. Also, NEVER drink alcohol and drive.

%d bloggers like this: